GitHub – How To Use GitHub? What Exactly is GitHub, Anyway?
What is GitHub?
GitHub is an online repository hosting service with all the distributed version control and source control functionality – everything that Git supports and more.
It also boasts access control, bug tracking, task management, and a wiki for each project.
It is a project, code revision management, and social media platform built for developers.
Well, among other things, it allows you to collaborate with others around the world, plan your projects and keep track of your work.
However, it is also one of the largest online repositories for collaboration worldwide.
Why does a web developer need this service?
- First of all, the GitHub service is cloud-based file storage.
- The point is that on this service you can place some files from your computer and store them on a remote server. Moreover, you can do it for free.
- The question arises: why do we need GitHub when there are such cloud storage services as Yandex Disk, Mail cloud, Dropbox, etc.?
- To understand this issue, you need to know how this service works. After you register an account on the GitHub service, you can create so-called repositories (i.e., some file repositories).
- Those. You create a specific folder in which you put a set of files, and this will be your project, and it is also called a repository. It is a kind of storage for a group of files.
- It consists of such repositories. By creating an account, you have the opportunity to create repositories.
- We have seen one of the differences between GitHub and cloud data storage. It is what GitHub primarily works with repositories.
- The next difference is that it is not just some kind of cloud storage; it is a repository that works closely with the Git program.
What Exactly is GitHub Anyway?
- Today, the U.S. leads the world in software developers, with about 3.6 million. India has about 2.75 million.
- But by the end of 2018, India will have 5.2 million developers, and the U.S. will have 4.5 million.
- Don’t worry; I am not trying to scare you. Web developers are a peace-loving community, and most of us work toward the same goal of making the world a better place by working collaboratively.
- Being smart peacekeepers, we chose our tools wisely; one of them is GitHub.
- Wait, I have heard Git somewhere. Are they anyhow related?
- Git is an open-source version control system started by Linus Torvalds – the same person who created Linux.
- Git is a command-line tool, but the center around which all things involving Git revolve is the hub – GitHub – where developers store their projects and network with like-minded people.
- Without wasting much time, let’s get started.
- After you are done signing up on GitHub, you’ll see the following view without any repositories.
- A repository (usually abbreviated to “repo”) is where all the files for a particular project are stored. Each project has its repo, and you can access it with a unique URL.
- A repository can only
be one of two types, i.e., public or private.
- All of the open-source projects found on GitHub are public. Every account holder on GitHub has to upgrade their account to be gain the privilege of making private repositories.
How To Use GitHub?
- If you don’t know how to use GitHub, this blog is for you.
- Github is a web-based platform used for version control. Git simplifies the process of working with other people and makes it easy to collaborate on projects.
- Team members can work on files and easily merge their changes with the master branch of the project.
- Git & GitHub skill has slowly made its way from preferred skills to must-have skills in multiple job roles. In this blog, I will take you through the various functions and capabilities of GitHub.
What to be very crisp about what exactly is GitHub?
- It is a file or code-sharing service to collaborate with different people.
- GitHub is a software that is typically used for version control. It is helpful when more than just one person is working on a project.
- Say, for example, a software development team wants to build a website, and everyone has to update their codes simultaneously while working on the project.
- In this case, It helps them to build a centralized repository where everyone can upload, edit, and manage the code files.
- Whereas it is a code hosting platform for version control collaboration. It is a company that allows you to host a central repository in a remote server.
- Now let me list down how GitHub makes git simple:
- GitHub provides you with a beautiful visual interface that helps you track or manage your version-controlled projects locally.
- Once you register on GitHub, you can connect with a social network and build a strong profile.
How to Fix [pii_email_e6685ca0de00abf1e4d5] Error Code?
pii_email_e6685ca0de00abf1e4d5 Error Code: Today we are going to confer one of the most common MS Outlook errors. It is called…
Amazon Prime Wardrobe – Amazon Prime Wardrobe is officially available to all US Prime members
What is Amazon Prime Wardrobe? Amazon has made its Prime Wardrobe service available to all US Prime users. Here’s what…