Prime Minister of Canada – Political career, Trudeau’s first term as Prime Minister
Prime Minister of Canada
Justin Trudeau was born on (Chrismas day ) 25 December 1971, in Ottawa, leader of the Liberal Party and Prime Minister of Canada.
Mother – Margaret Joan Trudeau, actress and writer. And he Graduated from Jean-de-Brebeuf College in Montreal.
In 1994 he received his BA in English Literature from McGill University in Montreal. He received his BA in Education from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver in 1998.
In 2002-2003. studied engineering at the Ecole Polytechnique at the University of Montreal, 2005-2007 Geography at the McGill University master’s program.
- Wife – Sophie Grenoir, former model and TV host (married since 2005).
- She has posed for glossy magazines, starred in the comedy series “Business,” was a yoga instructor, composes music in her spare time.
- The couple has three children: sons Xavier James (born in 2007) and Adrian (born in 2014), daughter Ella-Grace Margaret (born in 2009).
- And also, she is actively involved in charitable activities. She is Excellent knowledge of English and French.
Start of activity
- In 1999-2002. taught French and mathematics at the secondary school. Winston Churchill and at the West Point Gray Academy in Vancouver.
- He tried himself as a boxer, bungee jumping, snowboarding instructor, radio host, and actor.
- And also, he actively advocated the development of social opportunities for young people and the protection of the environment.
- He was the chairman of the volunteer organization Katimavik (“Katimavik”) and served on the board of another charitable project – the Avalanche Canada Foundation.
- In 2005, he took part in actions against a zinc mining project that threatens to pollute the South Nahanni River, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- In 2007, he starred in the mini-series The Great War, dedicated to Canada’s participation in World War I, playing the Canadian hero Major Talbot Mercer Papineau.
- In 2008 he was elected to the House of Commons of Canada’s Parliament from Papineau County, Quebec, and was re-elected in 2011 and 2015.
- He was named Opposition Critic (Parliamentary Position) on Youth and Multiculturalism in 2009 .
- In 2010 – for citizenship and immigration, in 2011 – for secondary education, youth, and amateur sports.
- In April 2014, he was elected leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, with over 80% of party members and supporters’ support in intra-party elections.
The first term of the Prime Minister
- After winning the parliamentary elections on 19 October 2015, the Liberal Party was able to form a one-party majority government.
- As its leader, Justin Trudeau took over as prime minister.
- He officially took office on 4 November 2015 and became one of the youngest prime ministers in Canadian history (before him, Joe Clark took office in 1979, a day before his 40th birthday).
Trudeau’s first term as Prime Minister
- Canada’s GDP, which pursued supporting and expanding the middle class, grew by about 10%.
- The inflation rate went from 1.1% to 2.2%, created 1.2 million jobs.
- And also, the unemployment level fell from 6.9% to 5.5% (the lowest since 1976).
- Trudeau’s government cut taxes for the middle and small businesses, but the budget deficit increased significantly as tax revenues fell.
- From CAD 1 billion ($ 760 million) in the 2015-2016 fiscal year to CAD-$ 19 billion ($ 14.4 billion). USD) in the financial year 2017-2018.
- He implemented the first Senate reform since 1965, creating a non-party advisory committee that recommends candidates based not on party membership but personal qualities and merit.
- A social allowance to parents for child support under 17, reduces the child poverty rate from 11% to 9%.
- In 2017, Trudeau’s cabinet initiated a multi-year reform of Canada’s pension program to increase retirement benefits by 33-50%.
- In 2016, Canada hosted a record number of refugees – nearly 47,000 people.
- The government has encouraged immigration to attract labor into the economy. Canada’s population grew faster in 2018-2019 than at any time in the country’s history.
- The Trudeau government passed legislation through parliament to protect transgender rights and prevent discrimination based on gender identity and gender expression.
- In the House of Commons, Trudeau formally apologized for years of discrimination against gays in Canada.
- Moreover, he became the first Canadian prime minister to take part in a pride parade.
- In December 2015, Canada signed the Paris climate agreement.
- He achieves the objectives set out in the document; the country has introduced a national carbon tax.
- And also, in June 2019, Trudeau’s cabinet approved a plan to expand the Trans-Mountain Pipeline.
- However, it caused discontent among environmentalists and residents of the territories through which the pipeline passes.
Justin Trudeau’s activities as Prime Minister of Canada
The second term of the Prime Minister
- The victory of the Liberals in the general election on 21 October 2019 was less convincing.
- He solely lost Western Canada’s people’s support, the party did not receive enough votes to form a majority government.
- Moreover, Trudeau was a one-party government of 20 November 2019.
- In 2019, the biggest scandal erupted during Trudeau’s presidency.
- On 7 February, Globe and Mail reported that the Prime Minister’s Office lobbied former Attorney General and Attorney General Jodie Wilson-Raybould.
- However, they help Canadian engineering and construction firm SNC-Lavalin escape prosecution.
- And also, the company was indicted in 2015 for corruption and fraud.
- Trudeau admitted that he should have personally discussed the SNC-Lavalin matter with Wilson-Raybould rather than entrust it to his office members.
- However, he raised the possibility of separating the Attorney General’s offices and the Minister of Justice.
- In August, the scandal took a new turn after the publication of a report prepared by Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion, according to which Wilson-Raybould was indeed over.
- “Direct and indirect” pressures and that there has been a violation of the law on conflict of interest.”
- Trudeau said he admits responsibility for the mistakes but never apologized, arguing that prosecuting SNC-Lavalin would cost Canada dearly. The number of jobs.
- A month before the 21 October 2019 election, a scandal erupted over the publication of photographs of 18-year-old Trudeau.
- However, he was depicted as a black-faced Arab prince with dark makeup, considered a manifestation of racism.
- And also, Trudeau was forced to admit that he wore this makeup at least three times and apologized to them.
Scandal surrounding the WE
- In the spring of 2020, Justin Trudeau announced the launch in the summer of a program to help students who volunteered during the Corona virus pandemic.
- The construction was entrusted to the WE Charity fund, which was supposed to provide 912 million Canadian dollars (680 million dollars).
- In July, parliamentary opposition representatives accused the Prime Minister of violating the ban on public officials from participating in decisions.
- The decisions that could benefit their private interests found that they donated the fund to the foundation without competition.
- After opening an investigation, the Independent Commissioner for Conflicts of Interest and Ethics announced that the members of the Trudeau family and Treasury Secretary William Morneau used the fund.
- On 30 July 2020, in a hearing in the Parliamentary Finance Committee, Justin Trudeau said that he had not used influence in choosing a fund.
- He chose WE Charity on the recommendation of a government agency in charge of volunteering and which in June refused the services of this fund. The investigation is ongoing.
Justin Trudeau’s salary
- Parliamentary approved budgets and the Prime Minister’s total annual compensation is CAD-$ 357,800.
- However, it includes CAD-$ 178,900 in parliamentary salary and CAD-$178,900 Prime Minister’s salary.
- MORE INFO:- healtheffets
Have You Heard of the Fibonacci Number and Series? Here Are Some Important Details you Need to Learn
Fibonacci has been named after Leonardo Pisano, he was born in 1170 in Pisa. A Fibonacci number is a number…
How to Fix [pii_email_8908f3cbfca757e25c17] Error Code in MS Outlook?
pii_email_8908f3cbfca757e25c17: Email is still one of the supreme ways to communicate online. Not only do you stay in touch with…